Thursday, March 5, 2015

Dr. Seuss

     Each year on March 2nd I look forward to bringing out my large stack of Dr. Seuss books.  Reading his prose, laughing at his fun, and marveling at his creativity could be enough of a celebration!  

     This year, I gathered my books and these few activities for our look at Dr. Seuss.



     Scholastic's Let's Find Out publication included a graph for choosing a favorite book.  I thought this could be a good way to anchor our exploration, talk about graphs, and talk about an opinion and "because" to support opinion writing.  An older Let's Find Out had a great picture of him and some interesting facts about his life.
    
      One day we read The Cat in the Hat.  Then, we tried our hand at drawing "The Cat".  I saw a picture of direct drawing technique on a pin by Fairy Dust Teaching www.fairydustteaching.com . This technique makes it a bit easier for children to follow and the character is still recognizable.  

     The next day we read, One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish.  Along with the story, we made some math mats based on an idea from Mrs. Ricca's blog http://mrsriccaskindergarten.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2013-04-21T17:09:00-07:00&max-results=7

       I wanted my children to draw and write addition and subtraction stories, so I make these up quickly.  Feel free to copy them.

   





















     For our last focus story, Green Eggs and Ham, we simply responded to a question in our writing journals.  I wrote, "Do you like green eggs and ham?".  Students were asked to respond whether or not they like them.

     We really enjoyed our exploration of Dr. Seuss and his wonderful books - hope you do too!

Enjoy,

Image result for dr. seuss quote fun
     Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment